Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Normal

Our family has been through a lot of changes in the past couple of years.  Our older son, Cooper, joined the Navy during his junior year in high school.  So, two months after graduation, he was headed off to boot camp.  Our younger son, CJ, graduated high school this past June, and is now a teaching assistant in Frisco ISD, working with special ed kiddos.  My mom lived with us for almost 6 years, and she bought a house & moved into it last May.  Kevin and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary (!!), and I turned 40. 

All at the same time. 

I generally don't like new stuff.  I usually hate new music in choir until it grows on me.  It takes me a long time to get used to new characters on my tv shows.  New Coke was a bad idea......you get the picture! 

Now, in real life, we get to try to create our “New Normal”.  Christmas is just weird, not having young kids around to be wide-eyed at 6:00 in the morning, busting at the seams to open presents.  Everyone driving their own cars to a function is just wrong!  Kids with their own minds and own ideas…..blech!  J  I just have to give it time and come to appreciate the finer points of our “New Normal”, like Kevin and I getting to go on more “date nights”, and kids paying for some of their own things, which looks just like a raise to mom and dad!! 

We’ve raised very good, responsible boys who are productive members of society (even as teenagers!!!), so I feel very proud of that!  And having adult children is nice….you have good conversation, learn from them, as well as they can from you.  You can still watch movies and play games together.  It’s different, but not bad. 

I guess I can get used to new stuff, after all.

That’s All I Know!

No comments:

Post a Comment