Thursday, March 17, 2011

AI--Songs From the Year You Were Born, Or Songs From Birthyears Guaranteed to Make Me Feel Old

Hello Again Everyone!  We get started tonight with the judges and Ryan telling us that they (and we) will be giving to Japan and the victims of the Earthquake and Tsunami.  Nice.  And, This. Is. American Idol.

Tonight we'll take a journey to visit the parents of each contestant, see baby pictures of them, and here how they've been singing since they could breathe.  Cute. 

First up, Naima Adedapo.  She will be singing Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do With It" from 1984, wearing another Naima creation, complete with hair feathers, bib necklace, coin belt, scarf bracelet.....  I like jewelry and accessories as much as the next person, but girlfriend wears more on stage than I wear in a week!  A few seconds in, and I'm thinking this is not good.  It doesn't get better.  Steven must've been getting a drink, because he says he liked it!  Jennifer agrees with me though, and tells her that one pitchy week, she could give her a pass for, but two, not so much.  I think Naima's time may have run out.

Paul McDonald and his chompers are next, with a song from his birth year, also 1984.  He chooses Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues", wearing a grey suit, floral shirt, and bolo.  It's ok, but I'm pretty sure I don't like him on anything except Rod Stewart.  Maybe Brian Adams??  Next week he should try "All For Love", by both of them (and Sting)!  My favorite part of Paul's performances is how he stumbles around the stage a la Captain Jack Sparrow.  I've thought it every week, but don't remember if I've mentioned it yet.  ;)   Jen blames his bad notes on a sinus infection. Randy likes that he put a "Paul-Spin" on it. Steven also forgives his off notes and says he defines” a cool dude and loose mood”.  That's just what we were thinking, ST.

1995 is the year that brought us Thia Megia.  Dude.  She will sing Disney's Pocohontas theme song, "Colors of the Wind".  Being a huge Disney music fan, I say YEA!!  She wears a very long mesh-looking nude colored flowy dress.  Pretty, but we gotta get this girl in some color!!  She opts for champagne, nude, beige and white a little much for my tastes.  I like the song, and I like her singing it.  Randy says he's bored, but I disagree.  I have a feeling America will agree with me. :)

Next is James Durbin, and his year....1989.  He'll sing "I'll Be There For You" by Bon Jovi.  He wears a black leather jacket, khaki t-shirt and black pants, and his usual great accessories, including custom-made studded boot covers, and his tail.  James is quite pitchy.  I even liked the effort the first time around, but in listening to it again, heard a LOT more wonky notes.  He's better than that.  I don't know if it was the fact that he jumped around the stage the whole time?  Come on, James.....loved you last week, bring it back next week.  Steven warns James not to get too "pop-py".  I don't think we need to worry about that.  Randy mentions the pitchiness, but liked it overall.

Haley Reinhart steps up to the plate, singing "I'm Your Baby Tonight" by Whitney Houston, circa 1990.  She looks cute in a red blouse and black hot pants & heels.  She also has wicked red lips, which cause her troubles later when she wears it on the rest of her face.  Doh!  I liked the song ok, but the judges did not. Randy is still confused by the fact that she chooses Alicia Keys, Leanne Rimes, and now, Whitney.  Since they pick from a list, and all these ladies were on the list, I don't get the confusion. He's not saying that she shouldn't sing these people's songs, just that they are different.  She has already been in the bottom three, and it wasn't a stellar performance, so I think she could be on the Stool of Shame again. 

Next we go to 1989 with Stefano Langone, singing "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red or Teddy Pendergrass.  Great choice for him, and I like the Irish nod this week.  He wears a black suit, white high tops, a pink untucked button down over a white tee.  Randy and I both think this is the best of the night, telling him he "slayed it".  Jen says he "could take this thing". I'm glad for him--good kid!

Pia Toscano takes us back to 1988 (the year I graduated from high school!!) to sing Whitney's "Where Do Broken Hearts Go".  Whitney WAS everywhere in the late 80's, so we can't be too surprised hearing another of her songs.  At least Pia can most likely do it justice.  She does a dance mix version of the song, and looks gorgeous in her white shiny off the shoulder jumpsuit, turquoise necklace and ring, and long wavy hair.  She has a terrific full voice in her high notes.  Very good sound, and at least ties Stefano for the best of the night.  Randy says Pia is "IN IT TO WIN IT!"  It's a little early to call, though, Randy!

"Can I Trust You With My Heart" by Travis Tritt is Scotty McCreery's choice from 1992.  He has yet to stray from his country ways, but I guess he needs to stay within his preferred genre while he can!  He is cool and casual in boots, jeans, caramel suede jacket, and a light blue button down shirt.  His sound is good, as usual, and the girls in the audience really seem to like him.  One really nice high note at the end solidified his performance.  Judges liked him too.

Karen Rodriguez is next up, singing Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back", a personal favorite from that year.  She has a Marge Simpson-esque bun on her head, and wears a Star Trek Next Generation short black and white dress with black knee-high boots. 

Crazy, but I kinda like it.  Looks a lot like our Latina judge tonight, if you ask me!  I think Karen does well with this number, and I think she'll survive this week.  Steven says he likes her "Ethnic What-It-Is-Ness."  Oh, Steven, you are a keeper. 

Casey Abrams will entertain us with Nirvana's 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit", playing bass guitar.  He wears a Khaki green jacket over a lavendar tee & loose tie, and dark jeans.  I love the green and yellow lights on stage that give an electric eery feeling. 

Even though we hear more of his low register than normal, J-Lo points out that he is a little "screechy-screamy".  I agree with her, but I generally liked the performance.  Steven says he has the "goop" that great stuff is made from.

Lauren Alaina wears a mask over her nose & mouth because she has the flu.  She'll be singing "The Only One" from 1994 Melissa Etheridge.  Honestly, this is the best Lauren has sung since Hollywood week, even with the flu, so I'm excited for her.  She looks darling in fringy camel suede boots, jeans, a white top & sparkly tan jacket.  She is in surprisingly good voice, and the judges all like it.  Jen says she stays true to the flavor of the song, but makes it her own.  Randy tells her she should have a cold every week!

1987 is Jacob Lusk's birth year, so he will sing "Alone" by Heart.  I haven't heard a male version of "Alone" before, but Jacob is just the man to pull it off.  And I would be wrong.  Kinda hated it.  Didn't like him last week, and didn't like him this week.  The judges, however, heard a completely different song than I did, because they LOVED it.  ??????????  Steven says gospel had a baby and named it Jason Jacob.  I'm sorry, but Steven needs to spend more time in church.  For many reasons, but one is that there is actual talent there.  Jacob doesn't do it for me, and I would be fine if he sat in a Stool of Shame this week.  Ah, well.

Favorites this week--Thia, Stefano, Pia, Scotty, Karen, Lauren

Only ok for me this week--Paul, James, Haley, Casey

Didn't do it for me AT ALL--Naima, Jacob


Well, what did you think?  Do we agree? I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

That's All I Know!

~Karissa

No comments:

Post a Comment